Hands on Senior Web & Mobile Consultant
Vidal is a hands on senior software engineer, architect and engineering leader passionate about creating consumer oriented and professional websites and applications. Specifically, he is one of America's leading designers and developers of mobile software applications. Most recently he has been creating web applications using Ruby on Rails, mobile enterprise applications using the Rhodes mobile framework, and iPhone applications. His expertise includes:
- Developing & commercializing multiple, award-winning, mobile consumer software applications
- Product management – from conception to global release and ongoing maintenance.
- Front end development working closely with designers and product managers
- Hands-on Engineering Management – Hiring and leading globally distributed software product teams
See below for specific, verifiable examples.
Vidal is co-author of Pro Smartphone Cross-Platform Development: iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Android Development and Distribution. Published 2010 by Apress.
THE VDG GROUP, Sunnyvale, CA 2005 to present Developing mobile and web applications with cutting edge technologies
Notable client projects include:
eBay/PayPal, Sunnyvale, CA Oct 2010 - ongoing
Working hands on with mobile web development group.
Quantros, Milpitas, CA Jan 2009 - March 2010 Cross Platform Enterprise Mobile Applications
Trained engineers on Rhomobile framework and a created cross platform application for iPhone, iPad and Android for a tradeshow.
PLUM DISTRICT, San Francisco, CA March 2010 - August 2010 VP of Engineering and Consultant
Worked hands on writing and deploying the initial website written in Ruby on Rails. plumdistrict.com is a new daily deal startup targeted at moms similar to Groupon. Managed initial engineering team and set up engineering processes. I product managed the development of the Plum District's native iPhone application.
RHOMOBILE, Cupertino, CA Jan 2009 - March 2010 Developing Enterprise Applications for Smartphones Using HTML and Ruby
Wrote multiple enterprise applications using new rhomobile framework in HTML and Ruby for iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, et. al. Wrote server synchronization modules that integrated with REST and SOAP based webservices in Ruby. Developed native handheld clients for Wikipedia, Lighthouse and SugarCRM. Working on issue tracking system to be released simultaneously on iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian and Android.
ALEXA INTERNET (AMAZON.COM), San Francisco, CA Oct 2008 – Dec 2008 Writing Analytics Application in Zend PHP Framework with Amazon Web Services
CNET NETWORKS, San Francisco, CA Fall 2007 Enhancing Existing Ruby on Rails Enterprise Application
Worked directly with stake holders to take over and enhance an existing Ruby on Rails application for Enterprise Business Systems that manages internal projects at CNET. Completed project ahead of schedule and under budget.
In addition, consulting with companies in the areas of:
- Software development & implementation of new J2ME, Windows Mobile (C#) & Symbian (C++) applications
- Existing Product Refinement – user understanding, UI analysis, defining upgrades
- Emergency Demo Creation – quickly prototyped J2ME and Symbian demos for VC presentations
- Acting as Chief Marketing Officer
Clients include CellSpin, CNET, Livescribe, Quickoffice, Anoto Group AB, Splash Data Inc., et al.
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER – A2Z DEV (AMAZON.COM), Palo Alto, CA Jan 2008 – Oct 2008 Developing community oriented websites and Facebook applications using Amazon Web Services
Principal developer Unspun by Amazon http://apps.facebook.com/unspun_lists/ a Facebook application. Funding was cut in Oct 2008 and the websites discontinued. You can see a video demonstration of this work here: http://vimeo.com/1870833.
ENGINEER to CEO – IAMBIC, INC (http://www.iambic.com) , Sunnyvale, CA 1994 to 2005 Innovative developer and marketer of powerful, award-winning, user-friendly productivity-enhancing and entertainment software for handheld devices, smart phones and PCs; integral strategic partner/ supplier to Apple, Sony, Franklin Electronics and Palm
- Grew from start-up, with no outside investment, into a multi-million dollar ($2M+ per year) company with comprehensive product portfolio and strong presence in the US and international markets (Europe & Japan).
- Hired, trained and developed a multinational workforce, 25+ person team (Silicon Valley, France, Ukraine), involved in design engineering, product management, customer support, and quality assurance.
- Managed state of the art e-Commerce processing 50,000+ transactions per year.
- #1 best selling product for Palm platform. Brought to market 3 top selling products.
- Launched over 12 products from conception through end of life on over 5 different platforms
- Developed and negotiated strategic partnerships with Apple, Sony, Franklin Electronics and Palm.
- Closed lucrative bundling deals, e.g. one Apple deal which licensed 40K units in the first 12 months
|SR. SOFTWARE ENGINEER – SOFTWARE TRANSFORMATION (now Novell), San Jose, CA||1993 to 1994|
|SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER – FRAME TECHNOLOGY (now Adobe), San Jose, CA||1992 to 1993|
|MEMBER OF TECHNICAL STAFF – BELLCORE (now Tecordia Technologies), Piscataway, NJ||1988 to 1992|
|ENGINEERING DUTY OFFICER, LIEUTENANT COMMANDER – US NAVAL RESERVE||1991 to 2004|
- Master of Business Administration – Santa Clara University, 2004
- MS, Computer Engineering – University of Southern California, 1989
- BS, Electrical & Computer Engineering – Carnegie Mellon University, 1988
- Languages and Frameworks:
- Ruby on Rails framework
- SQL including MYSQL, Postgres, SQLITE, et al.
- (X)HTML, CSS
- C/C++, Objective-C
- php (Zend certified), Zend PHP framework
- Software Engineering and Engineering Management of local and global outsourced teams
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows (all versions), Mac OS X, Ubuntu Linux, Red Hat Linux, et al.
- Mobile Operating Systems: iOS (iPhone), BlackBerry, Android, et al
- Object Oriented Design (senior level)
- Experience in building and shipping multiple commercial applications.
- Owning the entire product life cycle from design, specification, development, deployment, maintenance and support
- User Interface Design
- Extensive experience building mobile GUI applications with the ability to design and program for resource constrained devices
- Open source projects. See http://github.com/VGraupera
References available on request and also at http://www.linkedin.com/in/vidalgraupera